Linux & Unix
2009 Mar 01
If an executable (program or script) named test exists
in your $PATH then it is called for each instance of [. This is especially
dangerous for root and is the main reason why root should NEVER have "./"
in its $PATH.
Linux an open source UNIX-like OS was initiated by Linux Torvalds,
available for free download and commercially distributed by many vendors.
- AIX by IBM
- BSD a commercial UNIX by BSDi
- Caldera Linux
- Corel Linux
- Debian Linux
- FreeBSD a freeware version of BSD
- HP-UX by Hewlett Packard
- IRIX® by sgiTM
- Mandrake Linux
- OpenBSD another free BSD with goal of
"Try to be the #1 most secure operating system"
- OS X by Apple
- Red Hat Fedora and Enterprise Linux by Fedora (non profit)
- SCO from the Santa Cruz Operations, Inc.
- Slackware Linux
- Storm Linux
- SolarisTM by Sun Microsystems
- SunOS an older version by Sun Microsystems
- SUSE Linux by Novell
- Yellowdog Linux
File systems, system call, commands and command options can differ between
variants. The two main lines in the family are AT&T and Berkeley Software
Distibution (BSD) lines, although some variants are blend of both.
uname : system info
dirname : strip suffix from full path
- Unix System Administration Handbook, by Nemeth, Snyder, Seebass and Hein
- Practical UNIX and Internet Security. by Garfinkel and Spafford
"Linux demonstrates success without management."